::Different Parenting Styles, Best Friends?

I was reading this article on parents.com about whether or not people with differing parenting styles can be friends. This is a topic that I struggle with sometimes now that I'm a parent and my eyes have been opened up to how other people around me parent their children. One aspect that the article touches on is that usually it's not the parenting style that you may not like, but rather the person. The parenting style is a side effect of the person. This was revolutionary in my thought process in regards to this topic. It's funny how people change once they have kids. I've experienced many situations where a person is one way, but when they get pregnant and become a parent, all of the sudden they are very different that what I once knew.

Personally, I think that parents can do whatever floats their little boats in regards to how they raise their children. However, I do NOT like it when these parents try to force their new-found parenting styles onto people like me. I don't like labels. I don't associate myself or my family with "attachment parenting" or whatever other labels are out there that these new age parents cling on to. I raise my kids the way my husband and I decide is best for our family, not how some doctor or group of people thinks we should. Now, I'm not saying that I don't see what other parents do around me and not have an opinion or judgement in some cases. We all do. In fact, I think it's healthy to see and understand things that we do or don't want to do as parents with our own kids. I just don't push my ways of doing things on other people. If someone asks me my opinion, I'll be the first to share it, or to try and offer up some suggestions for those who want them, but I've learned to keep my big mouth shut in most cases.

In any case, it's funny to see the division of friends within my own life, but also the life of those around me and how parenting styles play into it.

2 comments:

MEGAN said...

This is good girl! Something I've been thinking about lately is what my dad used to say when we were little: if it's not hurting you, then who cares, moves on. It applies a lot in the adult world too. Your kids amount of toys (from your prev. post), doesn't hurt me, so, why should I care how much stuff your kids have?
So, I certainly HOPE people with different parenting styles can be friends, obviously with respect to each other, because if others can't, then when is the world coming to? We can't just surround ourself with ONLY like-minded people. Everyone is going to have differences!
I think about this is marriage too...my marriage is extremely different from all of my friends' marriages. I didn't change my last name,among other things. I hope friends are respectful of that. This is rambling, and I hope it's coherent!

Katie said...

Megan, I so appreciate your insight and comments regarding my posts. Sometimes I wonder if anyone actually readying him this stuff! I agree with you in that we need to have a variety of people around us for balance in life! Keeps things interesting anyway!

XOXO

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Recent Posts

About Me

Katie
I am a mother, wife, daughter, sister, and a student of life. I am a broken, but trying to be the best mommy and wife I can be.
View my complete profile

Followers

Recent comments