::Spoiled Brats?... I Don't Think So...

Have you ever had someone tell you that your kids are "spoiled" or that you "give them too much"? I've heard this said to many people (and even though it myself at times) and even though my little babes are only a mere 1 year old, I've gotten those comments (in so many words) from others around. Yes, I'm one of those Moms that doesn't want to think that her sweet little angels are spoiled brats. One question I have is: What exactly is spoiling your children?

I'll be the first person to admit that my kids have waaaaaay too much stuff. Stuff like toys, sippy cups, take and toss containers, pacifiers, more toys, utensils, bibs, clothes, walkers, even more toys, activity toys, and the list goes on an on. However, I must also say that the reality of it is that the hubs and I have only purchased maybe 20% of all the crap that we have (and that's a generous estimate). The vast majority of the "stuff" that we have has come from other people who love them (and us) and have generously given our family many things as their own children have grown out the using them. Anyone with kids knows that 95% of the stuff that they need is used for about 10 minutes, and then they grow out of it. Pretty much everything I have in storage from the last year is brand new. Some of it still has tags on it because they never got the change to wear it or use it. Fortunately for me, I have 2 sisters that haven't had children yet, so I'm saving all my loot for them (or for myself if I ever dare to have any more kiddos). 

My theory on why people have been generous with giving our family so much stuff is because we are grateful for their giving hearts and appreciative of the fact that they love us so much that they want to give us these things rather than selling them on Craigslist or what-not. I'm flattered and thankful that people forfeit making a few bucks to help our family out. The hubs and I aren't poor or anything, but with two babies, things get really expensive really quick, and we aren't too proud to take hand-me-downs from friends and family that are willing. I hope that we are in the same position down the road where we can bless other families the same way we have been blessed. 

Bottom line is this: if you are grateful and appreciative, people will want to do things for you. If you are too proud, inconsiderate and rude, you'll end up doing everything on your own (and probably without any friends or family around). Every day when we wake up, we have a choice. We can choose to be happy, humble, grateful and appreciative,or we can choose the opposite. Either way, it's a choice, and choices have consequences, good or bad. 

Make today a good choice!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.

Recent Posts

About Me

Katie
I am a mother, wife, daughter, sister, and a student of life. I am a broken, but trying to be the best mommy and wife I can be.
View my complete profile

Followers

Recent comments